What are we being trained for?BMJ 2012; 345 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e5198 (Published 06 August 2012) Cite this as: BMJ 2012;345:e5198
- Meher Lad, foundation year 1 doctor1,
- Joseph Michael Norris, fifth year medical student2,
- David Ross McGowan, foundation year 1 doctor3
- 1North Middlesex Hospital, London N18 1QX, UK
- 2Brighton and Sussex Medical School, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9PX, UK
- 3Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Gloucester GL1 3NN, UK
As people about to cross the student-doctor boundary we echo Heath’s sentiments.1 During the past five years, our performance has been determined by exercises and assignments that reduced us to tick boxes.
We were given formulas to perform examinations, take histories, and break …
Log in using your username and password
Log in through your institution
Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
Sign up for a free trial