Media reports fuelled by authors’ claimsBMJ 2012; 345 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e4495 (Published 03 July 2012) Cite this as: BMJ 2012;345:e4495
- Sarah Davies, sport and exercise medicine trainee (London Deanery)1,
- Jo Larkin, sport and exercise medicine trainee (London Deanery)1,
- Mike Loosemore, consultant in sport and exercise medicine1,
- Hugh Montgomery, director, UCL Institute for Human Health and Performance1
- 1University College London Hospitals, London NW1 2BU, UK
We were dismayed at media coverage of Chalder and colleagues’ paper1: the BBC was not alone in reporting: “Exercise no help for depression.” But do the published data support such a view?
Encouraging “any increase in physical activity, whatever the intensity” was unlikely to be effective, given evidence based recommendations on exercise intensity,2 3 programme structure, and supervision.4 Power …