The importance of knowing context of hospital episode statistics when reconfiguring the NHSBMJ 2012; 344 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e2432 (Published 04 April 2012) Cite this as: BMJ 2012;344:e2432
- Lauren Brennan, specialty doctor and honorary clinical research fellow1,
- Mando Watson, consultant paediatrician1,
- Robert Klaber, consultant paediatrician1,
- Tagore Charles, consultant paediatrician1
- 1Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Imperial College London, Paediatrics, St Mary’s Hospital, London W2 1NY, UK
As part of an educational initiative to support frontline staff to better understand the importance of accurately capturing and coding patient episodes, we reviewed freely available data from HESonline.1 2 We found some interesting statistics.
On average, 1600 adults aged over 30 apparently attend outpatient child and adolescent psychiatry services in England each year (figure⇓). Indeed, the number of adults attending outpatient paediatric services since 2003 has increased …
Log in using your username and password
Log in through your institution
Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
Sign up for a free trial