Challenge of responding to PVL positive Staphylococcus aureus skin infectionBMJ 2011; 343 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d6477 (Published 12 October 2011) Cite this as: BMJ 2011;343:d6477
- Julie Cavanagh, consultant in public health medicine1,
- Mary Quinn, health protection nurse specialist1,
- Vivien Wong, GP registrar2
- 1Directorate of Public Health, Tayside NHS Board, Dundee DD3 8EA, UK
- 2Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
We applied Health Protection Agency guidelines to the management of 32 cases of laboratory confirmed Panton Valentine leukocidin (PVL) positive Staphylococcus aureus infection1 notified to the NHS Tayside Health Protection Team over two years.
Close contacts of individual cases comprised not only those in the same household but others …