- WRITE FOR US: The BMJ is looking for doctors and journalists to contribute articles relevant to doctors in India
- Our online table of contents is updated at least twice each day. Read all articles published in the last 7 days.
- You can use bmj.com to help you with your continuing medical education. Find out about CME/CPD credits for BMJ articles
- Keep up to date with cardiology: Access the latest cardiovascular medicine resources from across BMJ Group.
- OPEN ACCESS: All research articles are freely available online, with no word limit. Find out more about the BMJ's open access policy. Submit your paper.
- Find out how study types differ in our How to read a paper section.
Recent rapid responses
Rapid responses are electronic letters to the editor. They enable our users to debate issues raised in articles published on bmj.com. Although a selection of rapid responses will be included as edited readers' letters in the weekly print issue of the BMJ, their first appearance online means that they are published articles. If you need the url (web address) of an individual response, perhaps for citation purposes, simply click on the response headline and copy the url from the browser window.
Displaying 1-1 out of 1 published
In educational articles aimed at very specialised statistical issues, the choice of a clear example is a crucial point to help readers understand the main message conveyed by the paper.
In the article by Sterne et al. , understanding Figure 2 is essential, but it is unclear why three subgroups of studies (subgroups 1, 2 and 3) are proposed to interpret the results of the meta-analysis taken as an example, whereas one could think that two subgroups are enough (subgroups 1 and 2 pooled together vs. subgroup 3).
1. Sterne JAC, Sutton AJ, Ioannidis JPA, et al. Recommendations for examining and interpreting funnel plot asymmetry in meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials. BMJ 2011; 343:d4002
Competing interests: None declared
Lab. of Pharmacoeconomics, c/o Area Vasta Centro Toscana, 50100 Firenze, ITALY
Click to like: