Fastest increasing cancer in Scotland, especially in menBMJ 2010; 340 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c2512 (Published 11 May 2010) Cite this as: BMJ 2010;340:c2512
- Elizabeth J Junor, consultant oncologist1,
- Gillian R Kerr, statistician1,
- David H Brewster, director2
- 1Edinburgh Cancer Centre, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU
- 2Scottish Cancer Registry, Information and Statistics Division, Edinburgh EH12 9EB
Mehanna and colleagues highlight the increasing incidence of oral and oropharyngeal cancer in the United Kingdom and its likely association with sexually transmitted human papilloma virus (HPV).1 However, by reporting oropharyngeal cancer along with oral cancer the true rate of increase in oropharyngeal cancer is probably being masked.
Using data from the Scottish Cancer Registry, we found that oropharyngeal cancer now has the …