Robin Trevor Andrew RossBMJ 2009; 339 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b2847 (Published 13 July 2009) Cite this as: BMJ 2009;339:b2847
- D A Cruikshank,
- C W Grant
A general practitioner in Pitlochry, Perthshire, Scotland, for over 25 years until he retired in 1995, Robin Trevor Andrew Ross began his life 4000 miles away in Ranikhet (RANNY-KET) in North India.
On the 31 May 1935 he was born the son of a Scottish army doctor and Welsh nurse at a British Army hospital in the foothills of the Himalayas.
He was educated at Edinburgh Academy, going on to secure a Kitchener memorial scholarship, initially in the army and then the Royal Air Force, at Edinburgh University Medical School, graduating as a doctor in 1959.
After graduating, he went on to serve as a surgeon in the RAF for five years, based in Britain and Germany, where he quickly rose to the rank of squadron leader.
On the leaving the RAF, the family returned to Scotland, where they settled in Pitlochry in 1969 after completing his general practice training with Drs Alastair and Donald Cruikshank in Edinburgh.
When he arrived in Pitlochry, he joined Drs William Grant and Christopher Grant in partnership. There was no central …