Letters Media and health service

How the government is failing the health service

BMJ 2008; 337 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.a784 (Published 14 July 2008) Cite this as: BMJ 2008;337:a784
  1. Richard A D O’Brien, general practitioner principal
  1. 1East Quay Medical Centre, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 4GP
  1. RichardAOB{at}aol.com

    Snow’s article is a refreshing reminder that most of the NHS works very well.1 But it’s not just the media that concentrate on the rare instances of poor practice to make sensational claims that sell their papers: the government does exactly the same, apparently to turn our patients against us and support their political reforms.

    A good example comes from the government’s own £23m survey showing that 84% of patients are content with their general practitioners’ opening hours; its response (presumably premeditated) is to beat us over the head with the other 16% and …

    View Full Text

    Sign in

    Log in through your institution

    Free trial

    Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
    Sign up for a free trial