Peanut allergy may be transferred by lung transplantation, case showsBMJ 2008; 337 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.a1512 (Published 02 September 2008) Cite this as: BMJ 2008;337:a1512
- Roger Dobson
A case of peanut allergy possibly being transferred between a donor and recipient of a lung transplant has been reported.
The 12 year old donor had died from anaphylactic shock after eating peanut related food. Seven months after the transplantation the 42 year old recipient, who had no prior history of allergy, had an anaphylactic reaction after eating food containing peanuts, which she survived (Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation doi:10.1016/j.healun.2008.07.015).
“This case emphasises the importance of considering donor allergy transfer when caring for all solid organ transplant recipients in order to avoid a life threatening event,” write the authors of the case report, from Detroit, Michigan. “It is …
Log in using your username and password
Log in through your institution
Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
Sign up for a free trial