David Hugh ThomasBMJ 2008; 336 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39469.847373.BE (Published 31 January 2008) Cite this as: BMJ 2008;336:283
- Harry Egdell
After house jobs at Leeds General Infirmary and Otley and later Leeds Maternity Hospital, David Hugh Thomas elected for a short service commission in lieu of national service and was posted to Jamaica and British Honduras (Belize). Subsequently he served more than 30 years as a general practitioner in Whitby, and as senior partner was instrumental in the growth and development of the Whitby Group Practice. As a clinical assistant he promoted obstetric, orthopaedic, and inpatient services at Whitby Community Hospital. Sadly such small hospital provision fell out of political favour. He served as doctor to the Whitby lifeboat and was invested as a serving brother of St John Ambulance.
David was chairman of Whitby Bridge Club, Whitby Round Table, and the 41 Club. He was active in developing the Captain Cook Museum, now located in the house where he first lived, on settling in Whitby. He researched the diet of the Endeavour’s crew. A golfer with a single figure handicap in his teens, he played a round the day before his final illness. He was a keen walker in the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District and travelled widely overseas.
Supported for 50 years by his wife, Joan, their three children, and six grandchildren, he always maintained a delightfully mischievous sense of humour with warm relationships. David led a very full life with a wide community of friends and patients. He died shortly after a stroke.
Former general practitioner Whitby (b 20 February 1932; q Leeds 1956; DRCOG), died from a stroke on 12 October 2007.