A cheap soundbiteBMJ 2007; 335 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39353.427014.BE (Published 04 October 2007) Cite this as: BMJ 2007;335:684
- Adam Magos, consultant gynaecologist,
- Allan Maclean, professor of obstetrics and gynaecology,
- Daryll Baker, consultant vascular surgeon,
- Nicholas Goddard, consultant orthopaedic surgeon,
- Olagunju Ogunbiyi, consultant colorectal surgeon
- Royal Free Hospital, London NW3 2QG
We were astounded to read that the Department of Health plans to ban doctors from wearing white coats because of the risk of cross infection.1 2 The package describes a “bare below the elbows” dress code (short sleeves, no wrist watch, no jewellery, no ties when carrying out clinical activity).
What is the evidence for this? It is impossible to …
Log in using your username and password
Log in through your institution
Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
Sign up for a free trial