News

Agency warns about dosing error for amphotericin after patients with cancer die

BMJ 2007; 335 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39329.504757.DB (Published 06 September 2007) Cite this as: BMJ 2007;335:467
  1. Nigel Hawkes
  1. London

    Two patients died in an oncology ward at Birmingham Heartlands Hospital in July after being treated with the wrong formulation of injectable amphotericin—a drug to treat fungal infections.

    This National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA) has issued a warning over the use of the drug, but without disclosing where the two deaths referred to in its announcement had taken place. When questioned, the NPSA and the hospital confirmed that the deaths had taken place within hours of each other on 20 July (BMJ 2007;335:274 doi: 10.1136/bmj.39300.394005.DB). …

    View Full Text

    Sign in

    Log in through your institution

    Free trial

    Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
    Sign up for a free trial

    Subscribe