Leonard Geoffrey Cadoux MartinBMJ 2007; 335 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39301.729873.BE (Published 30 August 2007) Cite this as: BMJ 2007;335:455
- Rodger Martin
Geoffrey Martin's life in medicine followed a distinctly individual path, which entirely matched his own character. After Guy's, whose tie he wore with pride all his life, he did wartime service in the Royal Army Medical Corps and was then appointed medical registrar at Manchester Royal Infirmary. In 1947 he was awarded a BMA scholarship to study rheumatology at Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, but an attack of pneumonia prevented this and instead he entered singlehanded general practice in Chester. In 1962 he obtained his membership of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow (a rare achievement for a general practitioner then and now), and with his developing interest and training in homoeopathy was appointed consultant physician to Liverpool Homoeopathic Hospital with busy practices in Rodney Street, Liverpool, and in Chester, where his consulting room was in his house. He was a hardworking physician of the old school with an engaging personality, and a skilled listener, using investigations to confirm rather than make a diagnosis. His ability was best shown in his patients, some of whom consulted him for over 40 years. He was a past president of the Faculty of Homoeopathy, London, and the Chester and North Wales Medical Society. He was also medical officer to the Cheshire Yeomanry.
Away from medicine he was a city councillor and past chairman of the Chester Archaeological Society, publishing papers and a pamphlet on abstract design in early Christian art. He leaves a wife, Rosemary, also a doctor; two sons (one a consultant psychiatrist) and a daughter; and six grandchildren.
Former consultant physician Liverpool Homoeopathic Hospital (b 1919, q Guy's Hospital, London, 1941; FRCP Glas, FFHom), died from a dissecting aortic aneurysm on 7 February 2007.