Letters

Reactions to the chief medical officer's report

BMJ 2006; 333 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39030.728171.3A (Published 16 November 2006) Cite this as: BMJ 2006;333:1071

Less attractive than death or taxes

  1. Adam J Pringle, general practitioner
  1. 1Telford TF4 2LL ajpringle@doctors.org.uk

    I oppose the imposition of an untested system of “revalidation” that is incapable of defining a good doctor and that imposes bureaucratic burdens on the 95% of us seen as good doctors as punishment for the regulator's inability to address the other 5%.1

    Sir Liam's analysis of the problem is reasonable, but his conclusions are fundamentally flawed. He recommends a system to support doctors with health concerns—yet he recommended the same thing seven years ago, and has done nothing to deliver it, despite train drivers and pilots having similar support for a quarter of a century.

    He recommends a …

    View Full Text

    Sign in

    Log in through your institution

    Free trial

    Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
    Sign up for a free trial

    Subscribe