John Edward Dann Charles-JonesBMJ 2006; 332 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.332.7555.1456-b (Published 15 June 2006) Cite this as: BMJ 2006;332:1456
John Edward Dann Charles-JonesFormer general practitioner and aviation medical examiner Chester (b 1930; q Charing Cross Hospital 1955), died from pancreatic cancer on 15 March 2006.
John qualified from Charing Cross Medical School in 1955. He spent his pre-registration year at Charing Cross, Harrow, and Wembley and married fellow student Shirley in 1956. This was followed by a short service commission in the army which took him to Chester Military Hospital, where he spent most of his three years.
Resuming civilian life in Chester, John did GP locums before becoming a partner in one of the practices in 1961. He moved on after a few years to work for the NHS in Manchester and London. In the early 1970s he set up, with others, a forum to discuss strategy and guidelines and assessment of pilot fitness, working alongside the Civil Aviation Authority. John was a founder member of the English Association of Aeronautical Medical Examiners and later became its president.
After five years he returned to general practice, setting up his board in Upton-by-Chester with Shirley. The practice became very successful, and they were later joined by their son Huw. His interest in aviation medicine continued and he became medical director of Airtours. He was increasingly involved in the local community through the Church and Scouting. A keen scout as a boy, he became a warranted scout leader in the 1970s.
Forced to retire from the practice in 1990 because of ill-health, he gained his diploma in aviation medicine and continued with pilot medical examinations. He was proud to be made a fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society in recognition of the contribution that he had made. He leaves his wife of 50 years, Shirley, and four children, one of them a doctor. [David Campbell]
- Association of Surgeons in Training responds to GMC erasure caseBMJ January 19, 2018, 360 k224; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k224
- Chronic hip painBMJ January 19, 2018, 360 j5882; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j5882
- Development and validation of outcome prediction models for aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage: the SAHIT multinational cohort studyBMJ January 18, 2018, 360 j5745; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j5745
- Concerns about composite reference standards in diagnostic researchBMJ January 18, 2018, 360 j5779; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j5779
- Management of incidental adrenal tumoursBMJ January 18, 2018, 360 j5674; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j5674