Filler Q&A

Treating chronic inflammation of the Achilles tendon

BMJ 2004; 329 doi: (Published 21 October 2004) Cite this as: BMJ 2004;329:975
  1. Elizabeth M Theo, supply teacher,
  2. Milind M Deshpande, consultant orthosurgeon,
  3. Herbert H Nehrlich, private practice,
  4. Isobel Knight, Bowen therapist,
  5. Hesham Elsolamy
  1. Surrey
  2. Hubli, India
  3. Bribie Island, Australia
  4. Cambridge
  5. rheumatology and rehabilitation, Cairo, Egypt


    I have chronic Achilles tendinitis. An MRI scan has shown a few small foci of cystic degeneration within the thickened tendon. I am 63 and desperate to find a specialist in this field as I have had acute intermittent pain day and night for more than a year.


    I recommend you to go to a physiotherapist and undergo phonophoresis with flufenamic acid gel. You may have to continue the therapy for at least two to three …

    View Full Text

    Sign in

    Log in through your institution