Vaseline should not be used as first aid for burns
- B A De Souza, plastic surgery registrar (email@example.com),
- D Furniss, senior house officer,
- G Olaofe, burns and plastics nurse,
- M Jawad, locum consultant
- Burns Unit, Department of Plastic Surgery, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, Fulham, London SW10 9NH
EDITOR–We would like to draw attention to the inappropriate use of Vaseline as a first aid measure in burns.
A 3 year old Nigerian boy sustained a 15% scald to his back and perineum in a hot water bath. The mother removed him from the bath and applied Vaseline immediately to all …