Are randomised controlled trials in the BMJ different?
(Published 24 November 2001)
Cite this as: BMJ 2001;323:1253
- Matthias Egger ([email protected]), senior lecturer in clinical epidemiology,
- Christopher Bartlett, research associate,
- Peter Jüni, specialist registrar
- Medical Research Council Health Services Research Collaboration, Department of Social Medicine, Bristol BS8 2PR, United Kingdom
- Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Inselspital, CH-3010 Bern, Switzerland
EDITOR—In the context of an evaluation of the CONSORT guidelines for the reporting of randomised controlled trials, we searched each issue published in 1998 of Annals of Internal Medicine, BMJ, JAMA, Lancet, and the New England Journal of Medicine for reports of randomised controlled trials. 1 2 The hand search identified 290 articles. We excluded one quasi-randomised trial and nine reports whose focus was not on randomised comparisons. Our study sample …
Log in using your username and password
Log in through your institution
Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
Sign up for a free trial