Age of menarche in contemporary British teenagers: survey of girls born between 1982 and 1986BMJ 2001; 322 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.322.7294.1095 (Published 05 May 2001) Cite this as: BMJ 2001;322:1095
Cumulative percentage of girls reporting menarche with increasing age.
Participants with imputed month of menarche omitted from plot
Reference and region No of participants Date of birth Median age of menarche (95% CI) Tanner,4 London 7000 1950-7 13.0 (12.9 to 13.1) Roberts et al,w1 north east England 1307 1954-9 13.3 (13.2 to 13.4) Billewicz et al,w2 north east England 699 1962 13.4 (13.3 to 13.5) Roberts et al,w3 north west England 1274 1960-5 13.3 (13.2 to 13.4) Current study Region: Southern England 575 1982-6 13.1 (12.8 to 13.2) North west England 358 12.9 (12.7 to 13.2) South Wales 233 12.9 (12.6 to 13.2) Ethnicity: European 1068 13.0 (12.8 to 13.2) South Asian 79 13.1 (12.5 to 13.3) Other* 19 Parent's occupation: Non-manual 448 12.9 (12.7 to 13.2) Manual 375 13.1 (12.8 to 13.2) Unclassified 343 13.1 (12.7 to 13.2) Overall 1166 12.9 (12.8 to 13.1)
*Too few participants to determine menarcheal age reliably.
W1 Roberts DF, Danskin MJ, Chinn S. Menarcheal age in Northumberland. Acta Paediatrica Scand 1975;64:845-52.
W2 Billewicz WZ, Fellowes HM, Thomson AM. Menarche in Newcastle-upon-Tyne girls. Ann Hum Biol 1981;8:313-20.
W3 Roberts DF, Wood W, Chinn S. Menarcheal age in Cumbria. Ann Hum Biol 1986;13:161-70.
- Woman denied abortion in Ireland is offered €30 000 compensationBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6530; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6530
- Development and validation of risk prediction model for venous thromboembolism in postpartum women: multinational cohort studyBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6253; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6253
- UK clinics may be able to offer mitochrondrial donation next springBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6492; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6492
- First case of Zika virus spread through sexual contact is detected in UKBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6500; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6500
- Commentary: Selling unproved fertility treatments to women desperate for a baby may be unethicalBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6434; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6434
- Early puberty in 11-year-old girls: Millennium Cohort Study findings
- Developing guidance for pregnancy testing of adolescents participating in research: ethical, legal and practical considerations
- Clinical trials of contraceptive agents in those under 16 years of age: Are they necessary, ethical or legal?
- Checking pregnancy status in adolescent girls before procedures under general anaesthesia
- Period problems: disorders of menstruation in adolescents
- Menarche: onset and management in London schools
- Common menstrual problems in adolescence
- Adults at 12? Trends in puberty and their public health consequences.
- Age at menarche and adult BMI in the Aberdeen Children of the 1950s Cohort Study
- Maternal age of menarche is not associated with asthma or atopy in prepubertal children
- Rising obesity and expanding waistlines in schoolchildren: a cohort study
- Splitting hairs
- National guidelines are needed to provide sanitary facilities in primary schools