Dorothy Agnes Mary CarrHarry O'FlanaganNorman Middleton JamesJohn KeelingSamuel Maver Gunn McGuffieRobert Garden MurrayThomas Arthur Gainsford ReedDavid Linford Parry ReesJames Oswald RobinsonEdith SchulmanBMJ 2000; 321 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.321.7265.900 (Published 07 October 2000) Cite this as: BMJ 2000;321:900
Dorothy Agnes Mary Carr
Former consultant anaesthetist (b Dublin 1925; q Dublin 1949; FFA RCS), died from complications of treatment for Hodgkin's disease on 15 June 2000. She was a registrar and senior registrar at Westminster Hospital and was appointed to the staff of Sutton General Hospital in 1960, the Royal Eye Hospital in 1961, and later moved to St Thomas's Hospital, where she worked until retirement in 1985. Dr Carr was a skilled anaesthetist at a time when modern monitoring was not available and she was sought after by surgical colleagues, especially for surgery to the eye. She always kept up to date and was a source of sound and perceptive advice. She had great charm and was always ready to laugh at herself. She enjoyed travel, particularly in retirement, was well read, and enjoyed the theatre and the cinema. Predeceased by her husband, Noel, she leaves two sons (both consultants); one daughter; and five grandchildren.
[Doreen Birks, Evelyn Hess, Patrick Carr and Thomas Carr]
Former registrar Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 1962-81 (b Dublin 1917; q Dublin 1939), d 29 August 2000. He worked in public health in Lancashire and the Rhondda Valley and joined the Royal Air Force in 1944. He was acting squadron leader and deputy principal medical officer in Cairo, where his duties took him to many countries in the Middle East and Africa. In 1949 he became a medical inspector to the Department of Health in Dublin, where he instigated and managed a national poliomyelitis vaccination programme and represented the health minister on many international public health bodies. When he became registrar it was perceived at the time that the college would cease to function as a medical school, but Harry directed a fund raising campaign, which culminated in a new building in 1976. This provided excellent …
Log in using your username and password
Log in through your institution
Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
Sign up for a free trial