Horace Townshend FlemingBetty HargreavesCyril (“Cecil”) Jeffrey LevyDiana Jennie Margaret ListerKate Wilkins

BMJ 1999; 319 doi: (Published 07 August 1999) Cite this as: BMJ 1999;319:388

Horace Townshend Fleming

Consultant surgeon Enniskillen, 1937-72 (b 1907; q Dublin 1929; FRCS, FRCSI), d 12 June 1999. He first came to Enniskillen as county surgeon and later director of the Erne Hospital. At one time he was in sole charge of medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology, and ear, nose and throat surgery, as well as x rays and dispensing. He converted rooms in the basement to form an outpatient department. He had many outside interests and was a member of the yacht club, golf club, and amateur dramatic society and was a keen fisherman and bridge player.

[Richard Fleming]

Betty Hargreaves

Embedded Image

Former consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist Royal Albert Infirmary and Billinge Hospital, Wigan, 1953-85 (b 1920; q Liverpool 1943 (gold medal for surgery, George Adami prize, Kanthack medal; FRCOG), d 26 February 1999. Betty was a firm believer in hard work, graft, and grim determination in achieving her goals. She needed these qualities in abundance early in her career when many people found it difficult to accept a female consultant. Always open and honest in her views she treated everyone with the same respect, whether hospital porter or doctor. She spent her whole life within 25 miles of her birthplace, and she remained loyal to her roots. She was a keen sportswoman and played cricket to a good standard, tennis, and had a love of horseriding. Betty was always a most generous host. She was unmarried and nursed her mother during her final years.

[Michael Hargreaves, Caroline Hargreaves]

Cyril (“Cecil”) Jeffrey Levy

Embedded Image

Consultant anaesthetist and senior lecturer in anaesthesia Sheffield, 1958-87 (b South Africa 1921; q University of Witwatersrand 1944; FFARCS), died from a cerebrovascular accident on 24 May 1999. Cecil and his wife left South Africa for Israel in 1948 and served as volunteers in the Israeli Army Medical Corps during the war of independence. He trained in England and went back to South Africa in 1952 as a lecturer at the University of Natal and an anaesthetist in Durban. He came back to England in 1958 where his puckish sense of humour made him an effective and popular teacher. The undergraduates elected him staff president of the Student Medical Society in the 1970s. Cecil played an important part in organising national training programmes and examinations for operating department assistants. As well as fulfilling a demanding clinical workload he was involved in hospital committee work. He was an accomplished pistol marksman. Predeceased by his first wife, Jean, whom he nursed through a long illness, he leaves a second wife, Bebe; two daughters from his first marriage; and a grandson.

[Andrew Thornton, Desmond Taylor]

Diana Jennie Margaret Lister

Embedded Image

General practitioner Hampton and Twickenham (b 1929; q Royal Free Hospital 1959; MSc), died from ovarian carcinoma on 20 February 1999. Diana started work as a laboratory technician but was determined to study medicine and obtained the necessary qualifications at evening classes. Diana was passionate and enthusiastic about her work and was proud to have worked in the same area for over 30 years. She had tireless energy, was always ready to learn something new, and worked until a couple of months before her death. She worked hard to improve medical education and health services and was particularly interested in the quality of the doctor and patient relationship. She worked at three local cottage hospitals, was chairman of the South West Middlesex Division of the BMA, and served on the Kingston and Richmond Local Medical Committee. A respected trainer, Diana achieved an MSc in general practice in 1988 and was studying homoeopathy at the time of her death. She worked to overcome her shyness and behind a sometimes reserved exterior was kindness and empathy. She leaves a husband and a daughter and a son.

[Charles Lister Green, Penny Lister Green]

Kate Wilkins

Embedded Image

Senior house officer in accident and emergency medicine Worcester Royal Infirmary (b 1973; q Birmingham 1977), died unexpectedly in her sleep from acute fulminant bronchopneumonia on 9 April 1999. Kate had cystic fibrosis and diabetes, but never let this restrict her life and never did things by halves. She did house jobs in Sandwell, Solihull, and Worcester before taking her last post in a specialty which she began to enjoy. In the last few years of her life she suffered from periods of severe depression, but was always careful to show a cheerful face. Kate enjoyed many outdoor pursuits, including hillwalking, swimming, sailing, hang-gliding, and horse riding. She climbed Mount Kilimanjaro when others turned back and against the advice of her physician, and had to be carried off the summit of Mount Toubkal in Morocco on a donkey, exhausted after the 14 000 ft climb. One of her mottoes was “Enjoy the travelling, not just the getting there.” She leaves her parents and a brother and sister.

[Christine Carver]

View Abstract

Sign in

Log in through your institution

Free trial

Register for a free trial to to receive unlimited access to all content on for 14 days.
Sign up for a free trial