Career Focus

Briefing

BMJ 1999; 318 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.318.7196.3a (Published 29 May 1999) Cite this as: BMJ 1999;318:S3a-7196

The claim on the front page of Hospital Doctor(1999:13 May) that 95%of juniors are ready to back industrial action should be treated with caution - scant detail is available on the sampling methods used in the telephone survey, but what there is suggests that a self-selected group called the magazine rather than vice versa. We will know more when the BMA publishes its surveys next month. And while there is long way to go before civilised working conditions for junior doctors are achieved, pushing the boat out on the millenium pay issue may not be the wisest course. Apparently only 6% of the British workforce will be on preferential pay rates at the millenium. Among the other 94% will be a fair number of journalists watching the digital clock in the office turn from mainly nines to mainly zeroes: media coverage may not be sympathetic.

View Abstract