Letters

Ingestion of mouthwash by children

BMJ 1999; 318 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.318.7190.1078a (Published 17 April 1999) Cite this as: BMJ 1999;318:1078

This article has a correction. Please see:

Child proof caps are needed to prevent deaths

  1. Tamsin Wade, Paediatric registrar,
  2. Alison Gammon, Consultant in accident and emergency medicine
  1. Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP21 8AL
  2. Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association, Josaron House, London W1M 9HD

    EDITOR—A 3 year old boy was found collapsed and unresponsive at home by his mother. While waiting for the ambulance his mother discovered that a bottle of mouthwash was not in its usual place and she feared that her son had ingested some.

    On arrival at the accident and emergency department, the child was comatose (Glasgow coma scale score 3) but breathing on his own, and his oxygen saturation was good. He was hypothermic (core temperature 34.2°C), and capillary refill time was 3 seconds. A minty odour was detectable on his breath.

    Initial blood glucose estimation was 2.1 mmol/l, and he received 3 ml/kg of 10% dextrose and 20 ml/kg of colloid. At 10 …

    View Full Text

    Sign in

    Log in through your institution

    Free trial

    Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
    Sign up for a free trial

    Subscribe