Edward Carew-ShawPeter HayMay Gertrude McGaugheyWilliam MaxwellWilliam Harold NewnhamIan Edwin Wilson RobertsonIan Derek SimpsonRichard Stewart StevensAndrew Alexander Buchanan SwanDenis Anthony TolhurstFranzeska Helene (“Frankie”) Willer (née Manasse)

BMJ 1998; 317 doi: (Published 22 August 1998) Cite this as: BMJ 1998;317:544

Edward Carew-Shaw

  1. M B Carew-Shaw
  1. Jeremy Macafee

    Embedded Image

    Former consultant ear, nose, and throat surgeon Bolingbroke Hospital, London (b 1901; q St George's 1926; FRCS), d 8 May 1998. At 15 after matriculation he sold his bicycle to fund his initial weeks in London and secured a post as assistant master at Wilkinson's School in Orme Square. From the age of 16 he combined this with evening studies at King's College, Strand, and two years later became a full time medical student, supporting himself by evening work in a chemist's shop and reviews of new cars. He funded himself for specialising in surgery through evening surgeries for a general practitioner in Chelsea and work as a demonstrator in anatomy. Established as an ear, nose, and throat specialist he built up a busy Harley Street practice as well as obtaining unpaid honorary appointments at several London hospitals. He was certain that war was inevitable and joined the supplementary reserve of officers two years before it was declared, being in France on 4 September 1939 and subsequently being seconded to London hospitals. Immediately after the war he trained with Julius Lempert in the United States, then master of the new fenestration operation for otosclerosis. He later resumed his hospital work and private practice, including among his patients Vivienne Leigh and Lana Turner. He bought a ruined house set in 35 acres and gradually developed a beautiful garden, planting thousands of trees and organising the planting of more camellias a year before hisdeath. He leaves a second wife, Millie.

    Peter Hay

    1. Matthew Garry
    1. Jeremy Macafee

      Embedded Image

      Former general practitioner Glasgow (b Stirling 1926; q Glasgow 1949; FRCPG, MRCGP), died of an acute respiratory infection on 24 April 1998. After holding registrar posts and publishing several papers he entered general practice and remained there, mostly single handed. He also had other appointments in occupational and industrial health. He was secretary and later president of the Royal Medico-Chirurgical Society of Glasgow. Peter had many interests and hobbies, including curling, skiing, and golf. Robert Burns was a subject of deep study, and he lectured on Burns and wine. He was fluent in French, German, and Spanish. Predeceased by his first wife, Ellen, he leaves a second wife, Margaret, and two daughters and one son from his first marriage.

      May Gertrude McGaughey

      1. Rosemary R Millis
      1. Jeremy Macafee

        Former histopathologist (b Belfast 1933; q Belfast 1956; FRCPath), d 3 June 1998. After briefly working in the United States she embarked on a career in histopathology, which took her to Nottingham, Scotland, and Saudi Arabia. She was interested in a wide variety of subjects,including music, art, and books. She leaves a son.

        William Maxwell

        1. Patrick Thorn
        1. Jeremy Macafee

          General practitioner Wolverhampton 1949-82 (b Lockerbie 1912; q Edinburgh 1934), d 12 January 1998. He served in the army during the second world war in Norway, India, and Burma, both in field ambulances and as a regimental medical officer. Medicine was his life and it was agreed by his colleagues at all levels that he was a first class general practitioner. He had to give up practice when he became blind. He leaves a wife, Peggy.

          William Harold Newnham

          1. David Carter
          1. Jeremy Macafee

            Consultant psychiatrist Towers Hospital, Leicester 1966-87 (b Clent, West Midlands, 1920; q Belfast 1956; DPM, MRCPsych), died of colorectal carcinoma with hepatic metastases on 15 May 1998. He served with the Royal Navy and the Fleet Air Arm from 1940 to 1949, being qualified to pilot 16 different types of plane and working for much of his time as a maintenance test pilot. He was forced to land on water on two occasions, both in a Swordfish, and retained a lifelong interest in the Swordfish Heritage Trust. As a student he recounted learning to fly at Birmingham airport when there was only grass to land on. At the Towers Hospital William championed the use of physiotherapeutic techniques in treating psychiatric disorders and used his musical background in the development of music therapy. After he retired he took a diploma in archaeology, and was a lay canon in Leicester Cathedral and organist and choirmaster in two local churches. He even managed to fly after death: his ashes were scattered over the Irish Sea from a Swordfish on its way to Belfast. He leaves a second wife, Lesley, and their daughter and a son.

            Ian Edwin Wilson Robertson

            1. Denis W Robertson
            1. Jeremy Macafee

              General practitioner Northampton 1961-91 (b Northampton 1931; q UCH 1960; DRCOG), died from carcinoma of the colon on 26 May 1998. After national service he qualified and joined his father and elder brother in the family practice. He became increasingly involved in stress counselling, cofounding with a psychiatrist friend a service for those who were finding their tasks increasingly heavy to bear. He was medical officer to a building society and clinical assistant to the child guidance clinic at the local hospital, being asked to stay on after the usual retirement age. He became an expert in wood turning and had his own hallmark as a silversmith. He served on the borough council and at the time of his death was chairman of the parish council. He leaves a second wife, Pat; a son and two daughters (one a paediatrician); four stepsons; and seven grandchildren.

              Ian Derek Simpson

              1. the late Colin Shannon,
              2. Charles Barber,
              3. Nuala Simpson
              1. Jeremy Macafee

                Consultant ophthalmologist Ipswich Hospital 1984-96 (b Hove 1933, son of Professor Keith Simpson, the forensic pathologist; q Guy's 1957; FRCS, FRCOphth), died of biliary carcinoma on 9 October 1997. After house jobs he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps in Germany and then became a general practitioner in Essex and Suffolk. After 10 years as a clinical assistant in ophthalmology he changed his specialty to ophthalmology, returning to Ipswich as a consultant after senior registrar posts in Bristol and Exeter. Ironically his second career was cut short by retinal detachments. He had extensive interests outside medicine, holding a private pilot's licence, enjoying music and books, and retaining mechanical skills, manifest in the building of his first car and more recently a grandfather clock. He leaves a wife, Nuala (a consultant haematologist), two sons and two daughters.

                Richard Stewart Stevens

                1. R E Irvine
                1. Jeremy Macafee

                  Former consultant geriatrician south east Kent (b Coulsdon 1912; qCambridge/St Thomas's 1936; MD, FRCP), died of pulmonary fibrosis on 18 June 1998. He joined the Royal Army Medical Corps in 1940, serving in the Middle East, Italy, and Austria and commanding a medical division in 1945, when he was mentioned in dispatches. In 1948 he entered general practice in Worthing, being concurrently a part time senior hospital medical officer in cardiology in Brighton and a clinical assistant at the National Heart Hospital, London. In 1960 he had a unique experience of being recommended by an appointments advisory committee for the post of consultant physician to the Brighton Women's Hospital—but the appointment was disallowed because he was not a woman. He then turned to geriatric medicine, and when he was over 50 obtained a consultant post and built up a fine service. At the end of his career after his wife suffered a stroke he became seized with the need for better care of stroke patients. Setting up a research project in Dover, he showed in a controlled trial the value of a specialist stroke unit and became recognised as a leading authority. He was invited to join the Stroke Association and worked for it for 19 years, becoming its vicechairman. Through it he raised the profile of stroke illness, stimulating research, endowing a chair at Nottingham University, and promoting the welfare of patients through stroke clubs and support workers. Well into his 80s he was travelling the country and for people with strokes he probably achieved more after his retirement than most successful doctors do at the height of their careers. In 1997 the British Geriatrics Society awarded him a president's medal. He also ran the Canterbury postgraduate centre and helped commission the William Harvey Hospital at Ashford, for which he suggested the name. He was an excellent committee chairman, a fine public speaker, and enthusiastic gardener, while he spoke fluent French. Predeceased by his first wife, Pamela, he leaves two sons and a daughter; five grandchildren; and a second wife, Mary.

                  Andrew Alexander Buchanan Swan

                  1. T C Noble,
                  2. T B Anderson
                  1. Jeremy Macafee

                    Toxicologist Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd (b Edinburgh 1922; q Edinburgh 1945; FRCPE), died of a heart attack while skiing in Switzerland on 30 March 1997. After one house job he joined the Royal Army Medical Corps, seeing service in Palestine as medical officer to a parachute battalion. He returned to Edinburgh as a lecturer in the department of physiology, joining ICI's industrial hygiene laboratory in 1956 and subsequently becoming its director. The unit carried out extensive collaborative research with Medical Research Council units and Manchester University into environmental problems and human health. He was instrumental in forming the British Toxicological Society. Andrew had a special affinity for all things Scandinavian, which led to his ready acceptance by the members of the Norwegian thoracic surgical team stationed in Edinburgh during the war and visits to the country after it. As a young man he was an excellent golfer and something of a musician. Always a keen skier, he had had 36 skiing holidays in his last 37 years, while his other interests included sheep farming, shooting, and training his gun dogs. He leaves a wife, Patricia (also a doctor); a son and daughter; and five grandchildren.

                    Denis Anthony Tolhurst

                    1. James Fisher
                    1. Jeremy Macafee

                      Former general practitioner Bournemouth (b 1916; q St Thomas's 1940), d 15 May 1998. During the war he was in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, seeing service in North Sea convoys before being posted to a transit hospital in southern India set up for the Allied invasion of Burma. Joining the Bournemouth practice in 1947 he was an energetic family doctor and police surgeon, and after retirement from the National Health Service maintained a private practice. He was an enthusiastic member of Parkstone Golf Club right up to a few months before his death. In his published diaries Professor J R R Tolkein refers to “the excellent Dr Tolhurst” and wrote in a birthday card to Denis: “If one would live 'tis often best/to treat one's doctor as a jest/but if he clothes advice with wit/then wiser ‘tis to follow it/quoth Gandalf.”

                      Franzeska Helene (“Frankie”) Willer (née Manasse)

                      1. Wray Ellis
                      1. Jeremy Macafee

                        Embedded Image

                        Former consultant physician Sedgefield General Hospital, Co Durham (bStrasbourg 1903; q Würzburg/Munich 1927), died of old age on 6 June 1998. Frankie escaped Nazi persecution in 1939 when with her two sons she was allowed to join her brother, a London GP, on condition that she become a nurse or midwife. She trained at Queen Charlotte's and Leeds Maternity hospitals and in Wakefield. In 1942 after a change in government policy she was appointed a house physician at the Winterton Emergency Hospital, Sedgefield, the only resident, with care of many soldiers' wards, assisting at operations and acting as anaesthetist. In 1948 she became a senior hospital medical officer at what was now Sedgefield General Hospital, being promoted to consultant physician in 1965. Diminutive but vivacious and highly popular, Frankie supervised a succession of residents and their families, and after retirement started a new career as a community physician. She enjoyed skiing holidays into her 80s. She leaves two sons and three granddaughters.

                        View Abstract

                        Sign in

                        Log in through your institution