A PATIENT WHO CHANGED MY PRACTICEBMJ 1995; 310 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.310.6971.49 (Published 07 January 1995) Cite this as: BMJ 1995;310:49
- Hugh Jackson
One child's death saved many others
Many years ago a baby of about 18 months was admitted to hospital under my care having taken 10 of his mother's imipramine tablets prescribed for her depression at becoming pregnant against her wishes. This was before the days of child resistant containers. Imipramine was then a relatively new drug, and the baby had convulsions and cardiac irregularities, which are recognised side effects. I got the fits under control, but the cardiac irregularities were beyond me. My paediatric cardiology colleague and later an adult cardiologist came to help. But it was to no avail and the baby died after about 10 hours. He was the only child under my care who died from medicinal poisoning.
Log in using your username and password
Log in through your institution
Sign up for a free trial