Letters

Accidental ingestion of methadone Child resistant containers needed

BMJ 1994; 309 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.309.6946.53 (Published 02 July 1994) Cite this as: BMJ 1994;309:53
  1. M Jacobs
  1. Trafford General Hospital, Manchester M41 5SL.
  2. Department of Accident and Emergency Medicine, Stockport Infirmary, Stockport SK1 3UJ.

    Accidental ingestion of methadone Child resistant containers are needed

    EDITOR, - I was annoyed to read J M Binchy and colleagues' report about accidental ingestion of methadone by children, which in some cases, led to death.1 Last year I published a letter about accidental self poisoning with a cough syrup in a child.2 Several letters were published from people who agreed with my identification of the need for legislation to make child resistant containers for liquid dose prescribable medications compulsory. Among these letters was one from the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of …

    View Full Text

    Sign in

    Log in through your institution

    Free trial

    Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
    Sign up for a free trial

    Subscribe