Medical Practice

Beclomethasone Dipropionate and Oropharyngeal Candidiasis

Br Med J 1974; 3 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.3.5934.797 (Published 28 September 1974) Cite this as: Br Med J 1974;3:797
  1. L. J. R. Milne,
  2. G. K. Crompton

    Abstract

    A survey of 936 patients attending a respiratory diseases unit outpatient department was performed to assess the incidence of oropharyngeal candidiasis in patients inhaling beclomethasone dipropionate in daily doses of 400 μg or less. Throat swabs from 209 (41%) patients treated with beclomethasone were positive on culture for yeasts compared with positive swabs from 77 (27·2%) patients not receiving corticosteroid therapy either orally or by inhalation. Clinical oropharyngeal thrush, confirmed by culture, was detected in 28 (5·5%) patients inhaling beclomethasone, one (0·7%) patient receiving treatment with oral prednisolone, and two (0·7%) patients not being treated with corticosteroids.

    Sign in

    Log in through your institution

    Free trial

    Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
    Sign up for a free trial

    Subscribe