Papers And Originals

Tissue Matching and Early Rejection of Cadaveric-Donor Renal Allografts: The Importance of Unidentified Donor Antigens

Br Med J 1970; 3 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.3.5721.487 (Published 29 August 1970) Cite this as: Br Med J 1970;3:487
  1. J. H. Stewart,
  2. Kerrin M. Cook,
  3. A. M. Sharp,
  4. Jill M. Johnston,
  5. A. G. R. Sheil,
  6. D. Jeremy,
  7. Helen Bashir

    Abstract

    Tissue typing has been reviewed in a series of 100 technically successful cadaveric-donor kidney grafts. The criterion of transplant failure was immunological rejection causing total loss of function within three months of operation.

    No significant correlation was observed between matching grade and graft failure due to early acute rejection. This is attributed to the failure to detect at least one “LA” or “4” antigen (as defined in our laboratory), representing a potential incompatibility, in 89% of the grafts, and in the remaining 11% to the lack of an available recipient with identical “LA” and “4” typing. Undetected antigens on the donor are usually incompatible, and probably these incompatibilities unfavourably influence early graft survival.

    If the results of cadaveric-donor renal transplantation are to equal those of transplantation from well-matched living related donors it will be necessary to type with sera which can recognize individually all HL-A antigens, including those not yet identified, and to create an international pool of over 1,000 potential recipients.