Death and blindness due to overdose of quinine.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1985; 291 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.291.6487.31 (Published 06 July 1985) Cite this as: Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1985;291:31
- E H Dyson,
- A T Proudfoot,
- L F Prescott,
- R Heyworth
During 1953-83 there were 48 admissions to the regional poisoning treatment centre, Edinburgh, for overdose of quinine including 19 since 1978. Six patients were blind and one had ventricular tachycardia. Stellate ganglion block was performed without benefit in seven patients. No patient died, but three deaths from cardiotoxicity occurred in a further 71 patients reported to the Scottish Poisons Information Bureau. Plasma quinine concentration related to time from ingestion was found to be a useful predictor of visual toxicity.