Research Article

Accidental percutaneous hexachlorophane intoxication in children.

Br Med J 1977; 2 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.2.6088.663 (Published 10 September 1977) Cite this as: Br Med J 1977;2:663
  1. F Goutières,
  2. J Aicardi

    Abstract

    Eighteen children with normal skin were accidentally intoxicated by a talc powder containing 6% hexachlorophane. Four died and two remained paraplegic. The clinical picture was intracranial hypertension, eight patients developing signs of spinal cord damage. The condition seemed to result from massive intramyelinic oedema. In the spinal cord vascular disturbances may occur as mechanical complications of oedema, giving rise to permanent sequelae.