Research Article

Relationship of posture and age to urinary protein excretion.

Br Med J 1975; 1 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.1.5960.712 (Published 29 March 1975) Cite this as: Br Med J 1975;1:712
  1. S D Mahurkar,
  2. G Dunea,
  3. V K Pillay,
  4. H Levine,
  5. V Gandhi

    Abstract

    The influence of posture and age on urinary protein excretion was studied in 120 normal men volunteers. The supine excretion rate was less than 140 mug/min in all but two people (median value 38 mug/min) and tended to increase with age. The excretion rate decreased on quiet standing in 80% of people, which corresponded to a fall in creatinine-clearance. In the remaining 20% protein excretion increased on standing but generally remained within normal limits and was dissociated from changes in creatinine clearances. This increase was more prevalent in younger people and may represent a phenomenon analogous to orthostatic proteinuria, differing only quantitatively.